For the month of January I’m following the paleo Autoimmune Protocol (AIP). It’s like a Whole30 – just minus eggs, nightshades, seeds & nuts. It’s a little insane, but the only way to truly find out if a skin issue I have is autoimmune in nature or not. For more information, see my preparation post.
You know those little white lines you sometimes get on your nails? Yeah, the ones some people say indicate calcium deficiency, while Doctor Google insists it’s all a myth and it’s caused by trauma to the nail while it’s growing. I had them persistently for the 10 years I was a vegetarian, despite little to no nail trauma. Within a month or two of going paleo, though, I was surprised to see they’d disappeared. Since then, I’ve slammed my nails into walls, dropped barbells on them, scrabbled in dirt, and subjected them to all sorts of Crossfit-related trauma. Not a single white spot.
Until now. Now I’ve got two, and I’m a little worried. This has been since I started AIP, and since diet is the only thing that’s changed for me, I’m willing to place my money on that being the cause. Sorry, Doctor Google. It just doesn’t add up.
Now what is causing it, exactly, or lack of what, I have no idea. But I’m going to be more careful about eating enough greens and drinking my bone broth. If it’s a mineral deficiency, then the bone broth should help. I just made a big batch this weekend – time to drink up.
Today, I ate:
– A cup of broth, two cups of sautéed greens, and five lamb kofta meatballs for breakfast
– A sweet potato, half an avocado with some olive oil, and a mason jar full of half bone, half chicken broth for snack
– Beef heart with chimichurri sauce and stir fried broccoli for lunch
– Small apple for afternoon snack
– Grassfed burger with sauteed onions and sauerkraut for dinner
– Blackberries drenched in coconut cream for dessert
Feels a little more balanced on the carb side today. I was definitely famished after not eating much the last two days.
Things are going smoothly. I only occasionally cry out for dairy now. 🙂