For the month of January I’m following the paleo Autoimmune Protocol (AIP). It’s like a Whole30 – just minus eggs, nightshades, seeds & nuts. It’s a little insane, but the only way to truly find out if a skin issue I have is autoimmune in nature or not. For more information, see my preparation post.
We spend every Sunday getting ready, food-wise, for the week. We basically just put on some music and aprons and stand in the kitchen for a few hours so that we don’t have to think about it for the next few days. This is what we prepared for this week:
– Beef Heart with Chimichurri Sauce from Phoenix Helix
– Kale chips (wash kale, add oil/salt, bake)
– Coconut Prawns (add coconut oil, then coconut flour & flakes, toss & bake)
– Spring Pasta from PaleOMG (except we julienned a summer squash & added mushrooms)
– Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Butternut Squash (cut everything, toss with oil & salt, bake)
– Lamb Kofta Meatballs from Nom Nom Paleo (minus the masala & pomegranate molasses)
– Grain & Cheese-free Tabbouleh (aka, chopped parsley with onion, lemon, garlic, & olive oil)
I have some more vegetables to cut up and ready for stir-fries and steak and ground beef from the CSA for dinners, so I think we should be good.
Wot I ate:
– More chicken soup for breakfast
– Small sweet potato with the rest of the cilantro guacamole, blackberries with coconut cream, & a banana for snacks
– A very generous serving of the Spring Pasta for lunch, plus some roasted brussel sprouts & butternut squash
– Beef heart with chimichurri sauce & stir fry broccoli for dinner
– A handful of dates for dessert
Looks like a lot less, when written out like that. I wonder if that was why my afternoon was so very sluggish.
This was my first time eating heart, and I was pleasantly surprised. It’s pretty much like eating any other meat, except a little stronger in taste. I want to say gamey, but I’ve never actually eaten game, so take that with a slab of salt. That recipe was really good – I’d recommend it if you’re looking for a way to get more organs in your diet.